Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Framed Vintage Keys


OK, I posted this little project twice on my old blog and now I'm posting it again.  I'm just really proud of my keys.  Not to sound braggy, but I thought of this all on my own.  It wasn't until after I had this piece finished and hung that I saw this at Restoration Hardware.
via restorationhardware.com

This key art is 18.5" x  18.5" and retails for $199.  Mine cost me $25. I got a handful of keys at the flea market for $5 and a shadow box from Micheal's for about $20.  

The top and bottom rows of keys are flat so I just hot-glued them on.  The middle ones are tacked on with thread.

A few more months after I'd hung my keys I saw these at Pottery Barn.
via
Those keys are "vintage" (can you call something vintage if it's recently been mass produced?) and $19 for 7 of them.  Also, I love that gallery wall.

p.s.  The Restoration Hardware key art is no longer available online, but it's available from their catalog if any one's interested in dropping $200 + shipping on it.






2 comments:

Yvonne@StyleBurb said...

I love the framed vintage keys...glad you shared this project again! Doesn't it feel great to make something and then see a store like Pottery Barn has something similar but at a much higher price!

Lakeshore Cottage Living said...

I really like this idea. I have some old coins I want to try this with and was wondering how to pull it off. Do you think the hot glue changes the keys at all? I do not want to damage the coins in any way...

thank you for posting this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...